01 April 2005

The Dark Side, growing in me it is.

One of the few perks of working in retail, and by few, I mean only, is that I can take a look at new product before it hits the shelves. All the new Star Wars books and toys hit the shelves tomorrow but I've been able to see most of them already. I'm trying to stay "spoiler free" for the most part but Revenge of the Sith is not really a movie you can spoil. You know how it ends. Everyone dies and they all live miserably ever after until Uncle Owen tells Luke he can't go into Toshi station to pick up some power converters. But still, I've tried to avoid having any surprises ruined but the temptation of the Dark Side was too powerful. I had to look at the new books. I had to at least confirm that all the things I've been waiting to see since I was a kid will be there. Since long ago in a bedroom far, far away, since way back in the early days of the original Star Wars Fan Club, since the Bantha Track days, there are certain things that I've imagined over the years and I had to see if Lucas delivers. Hell, these are scenes I've acted out myself with action figures.
Obi-Wan and Vader fight by a "molten pit". Check!
Yoda off to Dagobah. Check!
Obi-Wan serves as a General under Leia's "father" Bail Organna. Check! (Well, the Jedi answer to the Senate, Organna is a Senator... same thing. Plus, Organna is involved in the Yoda/Obi-Wan master plan...)
Anakin uses the lightsaber given to Luke by Obi-Wan. Check!
C3PO gets a memory wipe. Check!
Jedi dead. Check!
Obi-Wan off to Tatooine. Check!
So, it appears the great and powerful flanneled one has delivered. Everything looks perfect. In many ways, just as I had imagined it should all those years ago. Now, I can't promise the acting will be worth a damn but... the books look like the movie should be good. (And I did not see any pictures of cartoon frogmen or mopheaded kids.) Oh, and I forgot to mention the most important thing... it has Wookies! Good times!
Your best friend ever,
Shannon Smith

No comments: