03 May 2005

Words and stuff...

So I've now read five Star Wars novels and eight Star Wars graphic novels in the past five weeks. The best were Shatterpoint, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous and Labyrinth of Evil. Labyrinth of Evil leads right up to Revenge of the Sith (The novelization sits on my books shelf mocking me, "C'mon, you know you want to read me, spoil everything, do it!") and is a very good book, probably the best prequel book I've read. All things considered though, I probably enjoyed the John Ostrander stories in the graphic novels as much as any of those in picture-free fancy pants novel-novels. Anywho, my nerd powers have never been stronger. On May 18th, I will go see Revenge of the Sith more prepared than any nerd ever before me. (I've already bought my tickets.)
Other words causing recent trouble in my fragile grey matter come from the R. Crumb Handbook (excellent), Howard Chaykin's Bite Club (not quite essential), and Chuck Palahniuk's new book Haunted (genius).
In other news, the new The Mars Volta album Frances the Mute is so good it is terrifying. Some parts are so amazing I just have to stop the thing before my head explodes. It's Mahavishnu Orchestra with the Latin Robert Plant on vocals. It makes me want to practice guitar, a lot.
After this whole Star Wars thing is done, I'm going to have to ban myself from fiction for a while and focus on finishing some new comics in time for HeroesCon in Charlotte.
Nerd out.
Just because I don't call, doesn't mean I don't care,
Shannon Smith

No comments: