28 January 2009

Six year old girls like Kitty Pryde.

(Kitty Pryde and Dazzler by Kassidy Smith age six.)

I mentioned before how much my daughter likes the Dazzler comic we picked up a few weeks ago.  It was Dazzler #2 and it has just a few panels showing Ktty Pryde and some of the other X-Men.  I've been amazed at how interested she has been in Kitty and yesterday when I came home from work she was proud to show me a bunch of Kitty Pryde and X-Men drawings.  The fact that she is a kid and often wears normal clothes seems to make the character very appealing.  I loved the X-Men as a kid and always cared about Kitty a bit more than the other characters.  And by cared I mean that I worried about her.  She was just a teenager so when she was in peril it had a lot more impact than if Colossus or even Storm were in a bind.  (I liked the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine mini-series even more than the Frank Miller Wolverine series.)  However, I've never been a little girl so I had no real scope of the impact the character had on girls.  No I get why so many girls got into comics through the X-Men.  It makes perfect sense.  They can see themselves in Kitty and she changed clothes more than the rest of the cast so there is that whole fashion element girls are attracted to.  
Was there a point to this post?  Um, I don't guess so.  I just find it interesting to look at these comics through someone else's eyes.

Your best pal ever,
Shannon Smith

p.s.  And since I'm talking about X-Men I may as well say I was disappointed by the new Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon.  It was kinda boring.  My daughter seemed to like it though.  She lit up every time Kitty was in a scene and she seems to think the Beast is hilarious.  I don't think she could care less about Wolverine though.  It's not a bad cartoon but it's a big step down from Batman: The Brave and the Bold or Spectacular Spider-Man.  I like the character designs and the cast choices but the animation, writing and music are all below the standard of what I'm used to seeing on Cartoon Network and the Kids WB, er, I mean whatever they call those CW cartoons now.  I also don't even have that Nick Toons channel so we caught it somewhere else on Sunday.  However, if I did have Nick Toons, I doubt that I would watch the show because Wolverine is on at the same time as Batman and Bats is simply better.  So far.

p.p.s.  And since I mentioned Spectacular Spider-Man... Hey CW, change your schedule!  Spidey is on wayyy too early.  7:30 for your best show?!?  C'mon.  I needs my Spidey fix at around 9:00 or 9:30 Saturday mornings.  Get that fixed right now!  Chop chop!

2 comments:

Josh Latta said...

Haha! You worried about Kitty Pride.

Shano said...

Well I didn't lose sleep over her or anything. Well, maybe just a little. I mean, she's not strong or anything. Her power is basically just for escape or sneaking around and she took on ninja's. Ninja's Josh. I don't think you are taking into account the level of danger when you have to deal with ninjas. They have pointy swords Josh. Serious stuff man.