23 January 2017

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 01232017

(Captain America #344 1988.  Cover by Ron Frenz and Al Milgrom.  Stolen from Cover Browser.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week weeks ending 01232017.

“Brutal. The guy likes being the top of the heap and he likes staying there. He’d be an all-term president and probably serve as vice president and most of the cabinet too. Except secretary of agriculture. Bane has no interest in where his food comes from. Only that it’s hit when it arrives. Or someone will pay.” -Chuck Dixon on what President Bane would be like.

  • Hello sisters and brothers of teh intronets and welcome to another episode of your Other Comics News Parade-O-Links.  My name is Shannon and I’ll be your host.  Last week was pretty crazy huh?  But here we are.  We made it.  Most of us.  Saturday was an inspiring day.  Millions of people around the world making their voices heard.  Millions standing together.  I didn’t march anywhere.  I took care of my two daughters though so that has to count for something right?  I’m not a woman (spoiler) but I am a dad and I tell you this, kids notice.  Kids notice when women or minorities create their favorite comic books, cartoons, music, movies and video games.  They notice when people stand up for themselves or others or for what they believe in.  They notice when people march for a cause.  They notice and it shapes their reality.  The reality where it wasn’t impossible no longer exists the second they see the one where it is possible. Much thanks to all of those that fight the good fight.  It’s bigger than you know. 
  • Lots of talk this week about “breaking into comics”.  I guess everyone on twitter had the same new year’s resolution to finally get their act together and get paid to make comics.  There were some good tips in there and some decent jokes.  I recommend Robert Venditti’s testimony on the subject.  I don’t know how to group tweets together or whatever but you can find his story of how he “broke into comics” on his twitter feed.  He has what I think is an ideal comics career; mainstream work with multiple publishers as well as creator owned work.  Read his story for yourself but the short version of how he built that career is that he 1) worked hard and 2) he put himself and his work in physical proximity to world of publishing.  You might make it with either one of those two things but I doubt you make it without doing both.  Especially the work.  Even if you get lucky, and fool your way in, without the work, it will catch up to you.
  • Remember pals, life is hard.  Never stop running unless it’s to pick up a friend.  Read comics and chew Glorp every day and you’ll keep on livin’ until you’re dead. 

Your best pal ever,
Shannon Smith

p.s. I write comics.  Do you make comics?  Maybe you should hire me to write comics. 

p.p.s Say you want a leader but you can’t seem to make up your mind. I think you’d better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.

p.p.p.s. Let’s pretend we went to high school together on facebook.

p.p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.

p.p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

p.p.p.p.p.p.s.  Yeah, I do Instagram too.  I guess it’s a law or something.



via file under other http://ift.tt/2kbciVt

via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2jVMb7S

No comments: