22 March 2008

Bible sketch. King Solomon.

Since it is Easter, here is a sneak peak at a Bible comic I am working on. This sketch is unfinished pencil on 8 1/2 x 11" cardstock. It is my interpretation of King Solomon at the dedication of the first Temple. I show Solomon here kneeling on the Altar of Incense just outside of the Holy of Holies with the Ark of the Covenant in view behind him. It is more likely that Solomon gave the prayer of dedication from the altar at the Inner Court so that the assembly of Israelites could see him from the Outer Court. I chose to put him inside the Temple, just outside of the Holy of Holies, because I was more interested in showing the "glory of the Lord" at it's point of connection with the Temple than the exterior of the Temple itself. And, I just kind of wanted to draw the Ark. It is also likely that in the first Temple, there would have been a solid wall between the Holy Place and the Holy of Holies but I chose instead to draw a veil/curtain here in the manner in which it was used in the Tabernacle because I thought it would be cooler to see the veil/curtain blowing in the wind of "the glory of the Lord" than the wall just...well, doing what walls do. There is not a whole lot of photo reference available from 960 B.C. so I hope any Bible scholars out there will humor me on this. If a miracle of Biblical proportions occurs, I hope to have this comic finished in time for Fluke.
Again, happy Easter.
Your best pal ever,
Shannon Smith

2 comments:

Paul F. McDonald said...

Happy bunny day to you, my friend. I didn't know you were working on a Bible comic. Pretty interesting. I love the dynamism of your picture. And the ark is pretty sweet too. Cheers.

Shano said...

Thanks. I'm kind of focusing the thing on moments of mystic, cosmic, otherwordly awesomenss and action. The Bible is full of that type of thing but most of the images you see in books, movies etc. are old men looking to the sky in hope or at their feet in despair.