30 October 2008

Halloweenies: Little Lulu

Little Lulu getting her spooky on.


Here is a Halloween treat for ya folks. I tried to do this one in flat colors so that it would make a great wallpaper for my pal's desktops. All you have to do is click the image. When the bigger version pops up in a new window, all you should have to do is right click and choose "Set as Background" and bingo bango you've got yourself a cool spooky Little Lulu wallpaper for Halloween. (If it is not centered then just right click your desktop, choose "properties", click the "desktop" tab and under "position" try "center" or "stretch".) Your cool co-workers wil be so jealous. (Your lame co-workers will have no idea what Little Lulu is. Mock them. Hide their pens. Adjust their chair to an uncomfortable position.)
I've been reading a Little Lulu collection and wanted to pay homage to those great comics. I also wanted to do something Halloweenie so I'm smashing two pumpkins with one boot. This drawing is inspired by the Little Lulu story called "The Peacemaker" which can be found in the Leave it to Lulu collection.
Here is a look at the inks for this image.
And because I'm a "how to" nerd, here is a look at the pencils. This was drawn on a 8 1/2 x 11 in scrap printer paper. (Scrap as in pulled from the recycling bin complete with someone else's bidness printed on the back.) Probably not a great idea since I inked it with India ink and a brush. Printer paper holds the ink okay but it gets all heavy and bendy and wrinkly. I did the pencils and inks very fast during breaks at work. If I had it to do over again I would have used a heavier paper stock and taken my time to try to capture that awesome Irving Tripp line work. But, I'm a busy fellow and just wanted to knock out something fast before Halloween had passed me by.

Happy Halloween!

Your best pal ever,
Shannon Smith

No comments: